As communication from health authorities continues to unfold regarding COVID-19, it is important to share relevant information with local church leaders as soon as possible.
Current communications from Uniting Church leadership:
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) from VicTas Synod are updated every Thursday
- Recovery Action Plan checklist (editable in MS Word) and cleaning info sheet helps local Church Councils to decide if gatherings are able to be COVID-19 compliant
- COVID-19 Safety Plans are required by WorkSafe Tasmania: the small business template is relevant for most church activities and properties, and is required before church gatherings resume.
- Information posters, attendance limit posters, visitor contact log and other checklists are also available
- Bring COVID-safety to life in your congregation with this COVID-safe skit script (thanks to Rev Chris Duxbury), and feel free to adapt to your context
Before opening your doors to worship services, prayer groups and other meetings by other users, it is vital to consider not only all of the necessary physical requirements, but more importantly the ministry and mission implications. There are a number of additional factors which every church council should also consider including physical distance requirements, cleaning time and cleaning between events, and pastoral care. It is a government requirement that a comprehensive COVID-19 Safety Plan is developed before any gatherings take place, as well as keeping records of all people in attendance in case contact tracing is required.
Covid-19 information from Tasmanian Government departments:
- COVID-19 Safe Workplaces Framework from WorkSafe Tasmania, including Safety Plan templates and guidelines
- ‘Roadmap to Recovery’ stages with restrictions and relaxations
- Current Directions made under the Public Health Act on Gatherings
- Other resources from the Tasmanian Government on COVID-19
- COVID-19 Information for Aboriginal People, from the Department of Communities Tasmania (‘walking together’)
Previous Covid-19 communication from Presbytery, Synod and Assembly leadership:
- 14/5/2020: VicTas Synod Letter re Easing Restrictions and Love of Neighbour and Moderator’s Prayer in the time of Coronavirus
- 7/4/2020: UCATas Church collections and Mission & Service Giving in ‘non-contact’ times
- 3/4/2020: VicTas Synod Guidance Information for Congregations on COVID-19 Rent Reduction requests
- 1/4/2020: VicTas Synod Moderator and General Secretary re Updated COVID-19 practical implications
- 26/3/2020: from UCA Assembly President, Dr Deidre Palmer pastoral letter
- 18/3/2020 from UCA Assembly: A Pastoral Response to the Pandemic from the National President Dr Deidre Palmer