- This event has passed.
Meet the First Peoples of Gondwana
October 12, 2021 @ 9:00 am - 12:30 pm AEDT
‘Following Christ, walking together as First and Second Peoples, seeking community, compassion and justice for all creation’
About this event
We invite you for a walk with Rev Dr Garry Deverell to listen and engage with his story and reflections as an indigenous person.
Garry Deverell is a Trawloolway man from northern Lutrawita (Tasmania), an Anglican priest, and the Vice-Chancellor’s Fellow in Indigenous theologies at the University of Divinity. Garry has ministered in parishes, hospitals, welfare organisations and academic institutions for 30 years. Many of those years were spent in the employ of the Uniting Church in Victoria and Tasmania. He is the author of two books, The Bonds of Freedom (Paternoster 2008) and Gondwana Theology (Morning Star 2018), and is a regular contributor to radio programmes, podcasts, and conferences on Indigenous matters.
Garry will be speaking on
• Who are the First Nations/First Peoples of this country, and what is our traditional spirituality or way of life?
• What happened between First Peoples and (mainly European) colonists in the period 1788-1960? How were the churches involved?
• What is the result of this history when it comes to First Nations health, well-being and socio-economic status?
• What do modern-day Indigenous people want?
• Who are the ‘Second Peoples’ and how can they be good allies in the Indigenous struggle for something resembling justice?
**Please note that this seminar will be recorded.
Tickets are $20.00 (ncluding Eventbrite fees) Please click here to book your ticket at Eventbrite